THE WOMEN gather under the trees.
They bring gifts, food, and chairs.
They are gypsies and queens, oracles, saints,
Jezebels and jesters, healers, sages, and warriors.
And when the circle is complete, the magic begins.
Shyly, with dainty movements, they take turns,
shifting aside their robes to expose
missing limbs and gaping wounds.
The others gather close and peer, heads cocked,
eyes straining, and they chant,
"That is lovely, that is good,"
and the wounds stop weeping,
and they melt into scars,
silvery and light and beautiful.
Then the women lean back and laugh,
and they stretch, sensual and fierce,
like cats in the sun.

Sunday, February 19, 2012

Poets Notice Everything

[These poems were written in response to the prompt: "Poets notice everything."]

When did my hair
get so gray?
Did my bottom always
jiggle this way?

And if I may be so bold,
when did my husband
get so old?

I hear a poet will always note
the separate threads
that make the coat.

The writer with the artist’s heart
will see each piece,
will note each part.

I don’t notice much,
I forget the rest.
So if this is the litmus test
There is one thing I can clearly see,
a poet I will never be.
            --Sappho

As I look around this circle
I find it hard to see
an image of anyone at thirty or forty
What color was your hair?
Were you lovely? Wrinkle free?
I know you only in these faces
you’ve grown into, dear to me.
I’m glad I know you all
at your apogee.
            --Zazu

I notice notices.
Note the following:

dead end   no turn around
no dogs except on leash
do not exceed weight limit

beware of dog
beware:  microwave in use

no through traffic
no-fly zone
exit only
employees only

under penalty of law do not remove this tag

your subscription is about to expire
be kind               rewind
no outside food allowed
wash your hands
walk bikes through tunnel

do not adjust this thermostat
do not adjust your set 

no entrance
no passing
no parking
no dumping
no smoking
no littering
no loitering

post no notices!

You're on notice:  take notice of notices!
            --Agatha

No comments:

Post a Comment