THE WOMEN gather under the trees.
They bring gifts, food, and chairs.
They are gypsies and queens, oracles, saints,
Jezebels and jesters, healers, sages, and warriors.
And when the circle is complete, the magic begins.
Shyly, with dainty movements, they take turns,
shifting aside their robes to expose
missing limbs and gaping wounds.
The others gather close and peer, heads cocked,
eyes straining, and they chant,
"That is lovely, that is good,"
and the wounds stop weeping,
and they melt into scars,
silvery and light and beautiful.
Then the women lean back and laugh,
and they stretch, sensual and fierce,
like cats in the sun.

Tuesday, February 7, 2012

Done & Still To Do

[This poem was written in response to the prompt "Bucket List."]

Part 1: Done
I was told to find one soulmate
but that was not for me.
I did have just two children
to meet the ZPG.*
I made a lotta good love
to a lotta good young men.
Kept my cooter happy, but
pro’bly should have stopped at 10.

TA in ‘lectronics
bartender, seamstress, mom
counselor, teacher, secretary
rat trainer with aplomb.
All these jobs just paid the rent;
They never made me wealthy,
but gave me lots to think about
and kept my children healthy.

My mother used to tell me
my choice of what to be:
graduate from college with
a doctoral degree,
become an English teacher
or marry one you see.
Just to try to please my mom,
I went and did all three.

I wrote a funny cookbook, recipes and all
I walked Pocatello and told tales tall
Felt really like a writer when I saw ISBN
Can’t quite believe that all those words
Came out my little pen.

Forty years of yearning
was simply too dang long
but, thanks to Marie the Maven
I learned to play Mah Jongg.

Part 2: Still To Do
I’ll take a lot of photos
and blog them into space.
I wanna start cartooning
and drawing like an ace.

Operate a back-hoe
is still my cherished dream
Tearing up the roadside,
clearing out a stream
Pro’bly still could do this,
‘specially if I buy
Some back-hoe-driving lessons
from a hunky back-hoe guy.

Traipse the streets of Paris
in the light spring rain,
ride my way through Europe
on the Orient Express train,
photograph the Sphinx
and all the pyramids,
visit Scottish castles
and the Stonehenge lids,
see Forbidden City
and the Terracotta Army,
get a job in China
teaching English
‘til I’m barmy.
Be realistic,
I’m only dreaming now.
My only way to China is
by reading Chairman Mao.

And if I do not do all this
before I kick the bucket?
Trust me, I won’t fret and stress,
I’ll just say, “Oh, well. F--k it.”
           --Agatha


*Zero Population Growth

No comments:

Post a Comment