THE WOMEN gather under the trees.
They bring gifts, food, and chairs.
They are gypsies and queens, oracles, saints,
Jezebels and jesters, healers, sages, and warriors.
And when the circle is complete, the magic begins.
Shyly, with dainty movements, they take turns,
shifting aside their robes to expose
missing limbs and gaping wounds.
The others gather close and peer, heads cocked,
eyes straining, and they chant,
"That is lovely, that is good,"
and the wounds stop weeping,
and they melt into scars,
silvery and light and beautiful.
Then the women lean back and laugh,
and they stretch, sensual and fierce,
like cats in the sun.

Monday, January 20, 2014

High Wire

Balanced on a high-wire
My life far below
I make my way carefully
Toe to heel
Heel to toe


I watch where I'm going
I reap what I sew
I walk with my head up
Toe to heel
Heel to toe

I know I can do this
If I just move slow
Make every step matter
Toe to heel
Heel to toe

Looking up, you may see me
As I sway to and fro
Dancing on a high-wire
Toe to heel
Heel to toe
            --Sappho

No comments:

Post a Comment