THE WOMEN gather under the trees.
They bring gifts, food, and chairs.
They are gypsies and queens, oracles, saints,
Jezebels and jesters, healers, sages, and warriors.
And when the circle is complete, the magic begins.
Shyly, with dainty movements, they take turns,
shifting aside their robes to expose
missing limbs and gaping wounds.
The others gather close and peer, heads cocked,
eyes straining, and they chant,
"That is lovely, that is good,"
and the wounds stop weeping,
and they melt into scars,
silvery and light and beautiful.
Then the women lean back and laugh,
and they stretch, sensual and fierce,
like cats in the sun.

Sunday, March 25, 2012

Tracking My Glitches, or Where's a competent file clerk when you really need one?

This poem was written in response to the prompt "Tracking my glitches."

Preface: Arthur Conan Doyle’s character, Sherlock Holmes, says that the brain is like an attic: when it’s full, you can’t put anything more in unless something else comes out. I think the brain is like a filing cabinet with unlimited drawers and file folders.  Everything is still in there, but, as I age, I have more and more retrieval problems, perhaps due to increasingly-sloppy filing.
  
Describing my participation
in some recent recreation,
I sometimes choose precipitation,
perspiration, palpitation.
My filing clerk is on vacation.

Requesting facts on the last earthquake,
I’ll ask about a chocolate shake
or a new class I hope to take,
and so my query is a big mistake. 
My filing clerk is on a break.

Here, Fido, Dogbert, Rover, Hammy!
Come get your dinner, Tiger, Pammy!
Whatever your name is, it’s uncanny.
You cats—whoever: Oh! Jupiter! Sami!
My filing clerk dealt a double whammy.

Telling friends about the ways
scriptwriters fooled the Code of Hays,
instead of Ben-Hur (Heston’s play),
I name Ben Gurion, BenWa, Ben Gay.
My filing clerk has gone away.

From A to Z, there is confusion.
Perhaps I’ve suffered a contusion,
or do I need a brain transfusion?
My retrieval skills are an illusion.
My filing clerk is a word Malthusian.*
          --Agatha

*Malthusian—Thomas Malthus (1821) theorized that population tends to increase at a faster rate than its means of subsistence, and that unless it is checked by moral restraint or disaster (as disease, famine, or war), widespread degradation inevitably results.

No comments:

Post a Comment