THE WOMEN gather under the trees.
They bring gifts, food, and chairs.
They are gypsies and queens, oracles, saints,
Jezebels and jesters, healers, sages, and warriors.
And when the circle is complete, the magic begins.
Shyly, with dainty movements, they take turns,
shifting aside their robes to expose
missing limbs and gaping wounds.
The others gather close and peer, heads cocked,
eyes straining, and they chant,
"That is lovely, that is good,"
and the wounds stop weeping,
and they melt into scars,
silvery and light and beautiful.
Then the women lean back and laugh,
and they stretch, sensual and fierce,
like cats in the sun.

Thursday, December 1, 2011

Not Yet

Death has not yet visited this house
but he knows where we live.

I've stood at the window,
anxiously peering out
into the darkness,
seeing nothing but the reflection of the room 
behind me.
But I know he's out there
somewhere.
And he knows we are in here.

He hears us cough.
He sees us stumble.
No, I haven't seen him,
but I've felt him
as he cruises by
slowly,
with his headlights off
and his window rolled down.

When I know he has gone,
I turn away from the window and
I hear myself laugh way too loud.
I touch my husband's back as I walk past his chair,
startling him.
I grin at my son, showing way too many teeth,
and he smiles back,
uncomfortable.
I pat the dog. 

Which one of us has caught his eye?
Which one of us will let him in?
          --Sappho

No comments:

Post a Comment