THE WOMEN gather under the trees.
They bring gifts, food, and chairs.
They are gypsies and queens, oracles, saints,
Jezebels and jesters, healers, sages, and warriors.
And when the circle is complete, the magic begins.
Shyly, with dainty movements, they take turns,
shifting aside their robes to expose
missing limbs and gaping wounds.
The others gather close and peer, heads cocked,
eyes straining, and they chant,
"That is lovely, that is good,"
and the wounds stop weeping,
and they melt into scars,
silvery and light and beautiful.
Then the women lean back and laugh,
and they stretch, sensual and fierce,
like cats in the sun.

Thursday, November 17, 2011

Three Temptations I Can't Resist

When I see a comma out of place,
a chocolate bar, a young man’s face,
I must take action, have no doubt.
These things I cannot live without.

Not essential?  Fie!  You say,
without them I won’t waste away,
but joy will fade, and so I’ll shout,
These things I will not live without!

My red pen aches to mark and scratch
each spelling error, with a hatch.
Circle run-ons, cap that noun.
Rearrange syntax with a frown.

My tastebuds, in anticipation
await the milky, dark sensation.
Godiva, Hershey, M&Ms--
I gobble down these luscious gems.

It has not waned, as I grow older.
In fact, my age has made me bolder.
When viewing beauty, male and strong,
I salute testosterone with a song!

Of course, life brings me other treasures:
friends and family, pets, and pleasures.
But with grammar, chocolate, and young men,
My cup is full; I’ll drink up then! 

Until I’m told to cease, desist,
the error, the chocolate, the young man’s wrist,
will be corrected and eaten and kissed.
These three temptations I can’t resist.
            --Agatha

No comments:

Post a Comment